Resources for wood coating product formulators
Prospector® has gathered the following resources to help you research furniture and wood coatings ingredients, find the most up-to-date news, and even locate continuing education programs.
With the rise in new construction, both residential and commercial, the wood coatings marketing is expected to grow 6.30% between 2015 and 2020, to a market projected to be valued at around $1,985.28 million. Stains & varnishes coatings are the fastest growing segment within the wood coating market1,2.
The demand for furniture and wood coatings with low or no volatile organic compounds (VOCs) is growing as well1, with consumers looking for products that produce the desired results, while also considering environmental and health impacts. Certain markets have tight VOC restrictions, such as California, Texas and parts of the EU3, though no federally enforceable standards have been set for VOCs in non-industrial settings4.
Common interior/furniture wood surfaces:
- Interior wall paneling
- Trim & crown molding
- Flooring finishes
- Particle board
- Medium-density fiberboard (MDF)
Common outdoor wood surfaces:
- Patio furniture
- Decorative garden containers/elements
The type of substrate helps determine the coating property requirements. Consider these points:
- Is the substrate porous, such as untreated or new wood?
- Will the substrate be exposed to the elements in an outdoor environmental?
- Will the item be used daily (high traffic or abrasive conditions)?
- How many coats will the surface require?
- What type of surface coverage is required? E.g.
- clear coating
- stains & varnishes
- wood preservatives
- water repellant
- stain resistant
- scratch resistant
- Is a waterborne formulation required?
- What are the rheological requirements?
- How will the coating application impact the formulation? E.g.
Prospector® is a material search engine with data for more than 70,000 products. Ingredient descriptions, MSDSs, certifications and more are at your fingertips - register for free now!
|Clear Satin Wood Finish by EPS Materials - This formulation produces a clear, satin wood finish. It features the product EPS® 4216.|
|UV-Curing Clear Coat for Wood, Matte Roller Application with Balanced Properties by Hoffmann Mineral - features SILLITIN V 85.|
|Wood & Furniture Coating #RR 3.16 by Borchers - Formulation # RR 3.16 is a two-pack PU wood primer, white, fast drying, based on Desmophen 1300 / Desmodur L 75 for spray application.|
|Fire Resistant Coating by Buckman Laboratories, Inc. - This formula for fire resistant coating utilizes the product Bulab® Flamebloc.|
|Non-Yellowing Varnish by Huntsman Performance Products - Clear coatings based on standard aromatic-based epoxy resins do not hold up well in sunlight. However, solventless coatings of low viscosity having improved U.V. light stability can be formulated from hydrogenated DGEBA type resins, which are nonaromatic.|
|View All Wood & Furniture Coatings listings|
- MarketsandMarkets: Wood Coating Market by Coating Type (Stains & Varnishes, Shellacs, Wood Preservatives & Water Repellents), Application Method (Roll & Brush Coating, Vacuum Coating, Spray Coating), End User (Furniture, Cabinets, Siding, Flooring & Decking), & by Region - Trends & Forecast to 2020
- MarketsandMarkets: Wood Coating Market Worth $1,985.28 Million by 2020
- Microcare.com: What Are VOCs?
- EPA.gov: Volatile Organic Compounds Impact on Indoor Air Quality
The views, opinions and technical analyses presented here are those of the author, and are not necessarily those of UL, ULProspector.com or Knowledge.ULProspector.com. While the editors of this site make every effort to verify the accuracy of its content, we assume no responsibility for errors made by the author, editorial staff or any other contributor. All content is subject to copyright and may not be reproduced without prior authorization from Prospector.