Polymeric emulsifier blends have the potential to both emulsify and stabilize your formulations, leading to enhanced functionality and premium sensory feel in your products. They are perfect to help form a variety of products, including gels, gel creams, full creams, and lotions - all with elegant skin feel.
These clever emulsifiers provide superior stability particularly to oil-in-water emulsions, and can be used with any oil phase1, without need for any other polymers, stabilizers, gums, or emulsifiers, with high ease-of-use.
In this educational video, we test two different polymeric emulsifiers:
- Ecogel™, suitable for certified "green," natural formulations
- Novemer™ EC-2 Polymer, a synthetic alternative
Click the play button below to see how I work with these ingredients in the lab, some of my best practice recommendations, and specific features I love about these products.
- Polymeric emulsifiers can stabilize formulations with high lipid loading, or hard-to-stabilize emulsions like high SPF products
- Because Ecogel contains lysolecithin, you need to keep it heated for about 20 minutes at 70-75º, so it will hydrate effectively
- Lysolecithin offers a silicone sensory feel to a formula
- In the first test, I used 2% Ecotel to 10% lipid loading to create an elegant sensory cream
- In the second test, I used 6% Novemer EC-2 Polymer to 25% lipid
- You can also use different percentages of the polymeric emulsifiers for different viscosities in your formulation
Interested in trying polymeric emulsifiers for your personal care formulations?
Prospector has listings for more than 50 polymeric emulsifier ingredients and formulations from global suppliers. Find technical data, order samples and more now...