With growth in demand for environmentally-friendly products steadily on the rise, it's only natural that naturally-derived surfactants is a category sparking interest amongst formulators. But what does "natural" mean? Explore definitions of this term and ingredient options, including blends and bio-surfactants generating growing interest.
Click the image to the left for a larger view.
Looking for natural surfactants for your formulation?
Prospector has many listings for natural ingredients from global suppliers. Find technical data, request samples and more now.
Highlights from the infographic:
- With no standard definition of "natural" available, various agencies have developed their own.
- The Natural Products Association says natural "ingredients must come from or be made from a renewable resource found in nature with absolutely no petroleum compounds."
- Natrue (natrue.org) says "natural substances are substances of botanic, inorganic-minoral (not organic-mineral, e.g. mineral oil) or animal origin (except for dead vertebrates) and their mixtures and 'reaction products' with each other.
- Most standards also outline processing criteria for preserving an ingredient's natural heritage.
- Demand for environmentally friendly products is driving growth of the market for naturally derived surfactants.
- Familiar representatives of naturally-derived surfactants include alkyl polyglucosides, lactylates and glutamates.
- Biosurfactants to keep an eye on include algae-derived, rhamnolipids, sophorolipids and marine-derived.
|GlucoTain® Flex by Clariant – GlucoTain® Flex is a versatile solution offering freedom when formulating. With its medium creamy foam, it leaves a smooth, nourished after feel and provides excellent color protection. Especially suitable for fine, damaged and colored hair...|
|GlucoTain® Plus by Clariant – GlucoTain® Plus is a mild surfactant with a excellent cleansing and wetting ability. When used as a surfactant it is especially suitable for formulations featuring light and abundant foam such as refreshing, vitalizing showers, hand washes, men..|
|TEGO® Cosmo C 100 by Evonik – The hair architect TEGO® Cosmo C 100 keeps hair with various ethnical requirements healthy and beautiful looking. The amino acid derivative is identical to the natural creatine occurring in the skin and improves mechanical properties of stressed hair.|
|TEGO® Care PBS 6 by Evonik – The versatile PEG-free O/W emulsifier for challenging fluid emulsions. TEGO® Care PBS 6 is based on fully renewable sources and is natural certified. This high performance emulsifier shows outstanding stabilization properties in demanding systems.|
The views, opinions and technical analyses presented here are those of the author, and are not necessarily those of UL, ULProspector.com or Knowledge.ULProspector.com. While the editors of this site make every effort to verify the accuracy of its content, we assume no responsibility for errors made by the author, editorial staff or any other contributor. All content is subject to copyright and may not be reproduced without prior authorization from Prospector.