Emulsions are found across a broad range of industries, including food, personal care, cleaners and many more. Based on an article from The American Oil Chemists’ Society, “Emulsions: Making Oil and Water Mix,” the infographic to the left illustrates how emulsifiers are used in these industries in common products and shows current emulsion and emulsifier trends.
Click on the graphic to the left to view the full-size version.
Highlights from the Infographic:
- Simple emulsions consist of either oil suspended in water (o/w) or water suspended in oil (w/o).
- Emulsifiers keep suspended droplets of water in oil or oil in water from fusing together and breaking the emulsion.
- Common food emulsions include mayonnaise (EU), salad dressings (EU), shelf stable peanut butter (EU), chocolate (EU) and ice cream (EU).
- Food emulsifiers include mono (EU) & diglycerides (EU), proteins (EU), fatty acid esters (EU), celluloses (EU), stearoyl lactylate (EU) and lecithin (EU).
- Nutraceutical emulsions are used to deliver supplements, vitamins and other nutraceuticals to the body.
- Trends in food and nutraceutical emulsions include reduced fat emulsions, heteroaggregation and complex emulsions.
- Lotions, creams and conditioners are examples of common personal care emulsions. Common emulsifiers include ethoxylated alcohols (EU), carboxylates (EU), glyceryl monostearate (EU), acetyl alcohol (EU), stearyl alcohol (EU) and silicone emulsifiers (EU).
- Ethoxylated alcohols (EU) are also a common emulsifier in laundry detergents.
- Plant-based emulsifiers are a major trend in personal care. Sources for these often come from the food industry.
- The sustainable sourcing of palm oil (EU) is a trend that applies across industries. The Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) is the certifying body for palm oil plantations that pledge sustainability.
Search Personal Care Emulsifiers Available in North America…
Search Personal Care Emulsifiers Available in Europe…
Search Food Emulsifiers Available in North America…
Search Food Emulsifiers Available in Europe…
Search Cleaners Emulsifers Available in North America…
Search Cleaners Emulsifiers Available in Europe…
The views, opinions and technical analyses presented here are those of the author or advertiser, and are not necessarily those of ULProspector.com or UL. The appearance of this content in the UL Prospector Knowledge Center does not constitute an endorsement by UL or its affiliates.
All content is subject to copyright and may not be reproduced without prior authorization from UL or the content author.
The content has been made available for informational and educational purposes only. While the editors of this site may verify the accuracy of its content from time to time, we assume no responsibility for errors made by the author, editorial staff or any other contributor.
UL does not make any representations or warranties with respect to the accuracy, applicability, fitness or completeness of the content. UL does not warrant the performance, effectiveness or applicability of sites listed or linked to in any content.
Leave a Reply or Comment