Basic sports beverage (EU) ingredients provide energy, electrolytes (EU) and hydration, as well as flavor, color and preservation. Some sports drinks also include stimulants, vitamins, protein and other specialty ingredients. Explore the range of ingredients found in typical sports beverages in this infographic.
Click on the image to the left for the full size version.
A few highlights:
- Simple sugars, like glucose, fructose, dextrose and sucrose are basic carbohydrates that provide energy.
EU: glucose | fructose | dextrose | sucrose
- Monopotassium phosphate, dipotassium phosphate, salt and potassium citrate provide electrolytes for proper muscle function lost in sweat during exercise.
EU: monopotassium phosphate | dipotassium phosphate | potassium citrate
- Cellulose gum, carrageenan, citric acid, modified food starch, gum arabic and sodium citrate are common ingredients used as stabilizers, antioxidants and preservatives.
EU: cellulose gum | carrageenan | citric acid | modified food starch | gum arabic | sodium citrate
- Some drinks include caffeine and other stimulants, although there has been regulatory criticism on the inclusion of these ingredients.
- Protein may be included for muscle recovery.
- Sports gels may contain honey or brown rice syrup, as they take longer to digest than simple sugars.
EU: caffeine | protein | brown rice syrup
- Vitamins, like thiamine, niacinamide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, cyanocobalamin, pantothenic acid and folic acid, may be added for energy.
EU: thiamine | niacinamide | pyridoxine hydrochloride | cyanocobalamin | pantothenic acid | folic acid
- High intensity sweeteners, like aspartame, acesulfame K, Stevia and sucralose reduce caloric intake.
EU: aspartame | acesulfame K | Stevia | sucralose
- Creatine monohydrate aids in creating the energy muscles need to function.
EU: creatine monohydrate
The views, opinions and technical analyses presented here are those of the author, and are not necessarily those of UL, ULProspector.com or Knowledge.ULProspector.com. While the editors of this site make every effort to verify the accuracy of its content, we assume no responsibility for errors made by the author, editorial staff or any other contributor. All content is subject to copyright and may not be reproduced without prior authorization from Prospector.