By RTP Company
A complete description of the application and its function or purpose?
- What fabrication and assembly processes will be used?
- If co-extrusion or overmolding process, what substrate material?
- Is an existing material being replaced?
At what stage is the application in the design cycle?
Is there a cost target for a material to be considered?
- Material cost per pound?
- Material cost per part?
Are there temperature requirements?
- Maximum service temperature?
- Minimum service temperature?
- Constant use temperature?
- Length of exposure to extreme temperatures?
Will there be exposure to environmental conditions?
- Indoor, outdoor, or combination of use conditions?
- UV exposure that may affect color or properties?
- Exposure to specific chemicals?
Acids Bases Oils Others
- Time length of exposure to conditions?
- Temperature during exposure?
Are there any regulatory requirements?
- Flame retardant to UL or other agency standard?
- Meet a specific automotive specification?
- Comply with FDA or NSF for food or water contact?
- Comply with USP class VI for a medical device?
- Comply with European ATEX regulations?
Are there any physical property requirements?
- Tensile strength?
- Tensile elongation (yield or break)?
- Tensile Stress (50% strain, 100% strain, or 300% strain)?
- Flexural modulus?
- Hardness (Shore A or Shore D)?
- Tear strength?
- Compression set (at temperature)?
- Tensile set (at temperature)?
- Rheology requirements (viscosity or melt flow)?
- Specific gravity target?
- Wear resistant or friction against a specific material?
Any other specific property needs?
Anti-static Static dissipative ESD protection EMI shielding
- Structural or reinforcement requirements
Glass fiber or minerals Density modification ESD protection EMI shielding
- Color or appearance?
Match custom color Masterbatch Transparent/translucent
For most applications not all of these properties will be applicable. There also may be specialized application needs that are not included on this list. By asking the right questions and through probing for the application needs, the true application requirements can be obtained and matching the right material can begin.
The views, opinions and technical analyses presented here are those of the author, and are not necessarily those of UL, ULProspector.com or Knowledge.ULProspector.com. While the editors of this site make every effort to verify the accuracy of its content, we assume no responsibility for errors made by the author, editorial staff or any other contributor. All content is subject to copyright and may not be reproduced without prior authorization from Prospector.